The ASCO Leadership Development Program for the Asia-Pacific region (LDP-AP) teaches culturally-relevant skills in leadership, communication, presentation skills, media skills, and conflict management. At the conclusion of the program, selected applicants will be better able to lead successful programs, to build relationships with leaders within their countries, and to lead within their own societies, institutions, and within ASCO. Applicants must show their commitment to improving cancer care and share their potential for leadership.
This program requires a time commitment to actively participate in virtual sessions, independent study, small group projects, and will require travel to in-person workshops in Japan August 1-2, 2023, and another Asian location August, 2024. Accepted applicants will have travel costs covered for the in-person portion of the program (economy airfare, ground transportation, hotel accommodation, and meals).
Bring together a diverse pan-Asian interdisciplinary group of emerging leaders in oncology who are empowered to identify and fill leadership roles in oncology and to promote interdisciplinary collaboration across the region and within ASCO.
- Leadership – successful leadership skills for the Asia-Pacific Region; what makes successful teams; how to organize, build, and lead teams
- Strategic Planning - tools to think strategically about projects and initiatives
- Communication – interpersonal communication skills; coaching others; active listening
- Positive Conflict Management – identify causes of conflict and strategies to resolve conflict; communication tools for conflict management; using conflict as a tool for improvement; negotiation
- Presentation and Media Skills – how to give a memorable and effective presentation; skills for media interviews
Content will be delivered as a hybrid of live on-line and in-person learning sessions. Online sessions will be held during the second Saturday of the month.
Applicants for the 2022-2023 Class must meet the following criteria:
- Be an ASCO member
- Be a physician (MD, DO, or international equivalent) working in the Asia Pacific Region
- Must have completed one’s final subspecialty training and have some years of work experience
- Be proficient in English
- Have the support from a supervisor or senior member from one’s institution/practice. They will be asked to provide a letter of support endorsing participation in the program. If the senior member is not an ASCO member, a supporting letter from an ASCO member must be included. If you need assistance identifying an ASCO member, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants to the 2022-2023 cycle can expect to be notified by January 31, 2023.
2023-2024 Program Schedule
- July 2023 – Virtual kick-off
- August 1-2, 2023 - In person workshop at Breakthough Japan 2023
- Monthly virtual didactic sessions August 2023 – August 2024
- Bi-Monthly small group virtual project meetings
- August 2024 - in-person (Asia) Final Session & Project Presentations
Commitment to Diversity
The LDP-AP group will represent diverse countries, resource settings, gender, and specialties. Where appropriate, priority will be given to candidates representing minority or indigenous groups in the region.